Caring for Your Wig
Like anything new, a wig takes getting used to. Give your wig a fair trial, and it will become as familiar as your own hair. Hair prosthetics, like the ones available at our clinic and wig centre in Mississauga, are as authentic as your own hair and often easier to maintain. Your wig should feel like a perfect blend of fashion, versatility, comfort and convenience.
To help you settle into your new hair, we’ve put together some do’s and don’ts that will help you and your wig get along just fine.
Truly You helped hundreds of clients regain both their hair and self-confidence.
Our expert team of certified specialists will find the right treatment plan for you.
Truly You uses only the industry’s finest solutions to help you with your hair loss.
Home Care for Your Wig
With the purchase of a wig at Truly You, you will receive a complimentary Wig Care Kit, which includes products and detailed instructions on how to best maintain your wig. Our wig specialists will walk you through your Wig Care Kit and explain the do’s and don’t’s, plus show you how to style your new hair.
Wig Care DOs
- Shampoo your wig every 2 to 3 weeks using the products provided in the wig care kit. Add a capful of wig shampoo into a basin of cool water. Gently soak the wig for approximately 10 minutes, rinse well and repeat if necessary. Blot excess water with a clean towel and spray with velvety smooth mist provided in the wig care kit. Do not rinse. Finger comb to desired shape and place loosely on the wig stand provided in the wig care kit.
- Brush wig with appropriate brush that will gently comb the hair without tearing hairs out. We carry wig brushes at our clinic and wig centre in Mississauga.
- Adjust the size of your wig with the Velcro tabs on the nape of the wig. For other adjustments, please book an appointment with your wig specialist.
- All wigs need to be sprayed regularly with leave-in conditioner to keep the fibre soft and lustrous and to prevent dryness. This will extend the life of your wig.
Wig Care DON’Ts
- Do not use a curling iron or blow-dryer on your synthetic wig.
- Avoid heat of 300F or higher, as the fibre will frizz. Cooking, sunlight, rain or snow will not damage your wig but opening an oven, BBQ, fireplace and dishwasher will!
- Do not use any heavy alcohol-based products on your wig. We recommend wig styling products formulated for synthetic fibres. These products are available at our clinic and wig centre in Mississauga.
- Do not cut your wig yourself. Hairs on your wig do not grow back! We recommend you book an appointment with one of our experienced stylists for any alterations or wig styling at our Mississauga clinic.
Salon Care for Your Wig
To keep your wig looking shiny and soft, we recommend having it deep conditioned every 2 months. After multiple wears, your wig may look dull, frizzy and flat. Our experienced wig technicians can rejuvenate your wig to look like it did the day you purchased it.
Simply drop off your wig at our centre. It will take 2-3 hours for our technician to work on it. Bring a hat, go for lunch or coffee with a friend or stay with us.
Please note, our medical related hair loss consultations are by appointment only. Our by appointment only policy allows us to provide our clients with the caring, professional service we are known for through our private, confidential, one-on-one consultations.