10 to 15 days after your first chemotherapy treatment you will likely experience the first signs of your hair falling out. At this time, clients have the option of returning to our clinic for a ‘transitional hair cut’ in a private, comfortable setting with one of our experienced stylists.
At this point, we will fit, trim, and customize your medical wig at our Mississauga clinic to match your natural look. The staff at our hair loss clinic in Toronto will also provide you with information on how to care for your hair and help you choose some head coverings.
Truly You helped hundreds of clients regain both their hair and self-confidence.
Our expert team of certified specialists will find the right treatment plan for you.
Truly You uses only the industry’s finest solutions to help you with your hair loss.
What to expect at your appointment?
- Clip your hair, leaving approximately ¼ inch in length from the scalp. The remaining hair will fall out naturally. Shorter hair helps to alleviate sensitivity and irritation from hair fall.
- Provide a scalp treatment to help clean, refreshen and soothe your scalp.
- Fit your new wig, making any needed adjustments, as well as style your wig to give you the most natural look.
- Show you how to put on your wig and how to style it. We will explain your wig care kit and how to wash and care for your wig.
- If you have not done so yet, we will look at some options for head coverings.
*The transitional haircut, scalp treatment, wig fitting, and wig care kit are all provided free of charge with the purchase of your medical wig at our Mississauga clinic.*
Wig Care Services
Truly You offers wig care services, including:
- Wig Styling and Refitting
- Reconditioning Synthetic Wigs
- Shampoo, Blow Dry, Style Human Hair Wigs
- Refreshing Colour on Human Hair Wigs
Scalp Care During Treatments
Scalp hygiene and proper scalp care during cancer treatments are very important. Toxins from chemotherapy and medication are released through urine as well as sweat glands. Therefore, it is important to keep the scalp clean by shampooing daily in order to reduce the possibility of pimples, cysts and/or infection.
While undergoing cancer treatments, you will have less active sebaceous glands and papillae, causing the skin and scalp to become very dry, sensitive, and irritated. You may experience discomfort, hypersensitivity, itchiness, redness, or irritation.
Chemo Care Kit
Truly You’s signature Chemo Care Kit is designed to cleanse, soothe, nourish, and protect both your scalp and delicate hair follicles, keeping hair follicles at their optimal state of health to support regrowth once treatments are complete.
Scalp Care Routine
Using our René Furterer derma-cosmetic line, our clients can moisturize and care for their scalp throughout the therapy period with a 3-step care routine, using products with gentle, natural, active ingredients designed to target the negative effects of chemotherapy and radiation. These products help to soothe and cool the scalp, as well as rebuild the hydrolypidic film and desensitize the surface of the scalp.
3 Easy Steps with René Furterer’s Astera Soothing Product Series:
- Prepare: Astera Soothing Freshness Concentrate Astera Fresh concentrate with cooling essential oils is formulated to treat irritation and inflammation of the scalp, offering a soothing and purifying effect.
- Wash: Astera Soothing Freshness Shampoo effectively calms an itchy scalp, while providing a fresh, soothing sensation. Recommended for people experiencing scalp sensitivity due to medical treatments.
- Treat: Astera Soothing Freshness Serum instantly calms discomfort with the cooling effect of mint and eucalyptus essential oils. Rich in Asteraceae extract, it soothes irritation and itching. The cimentrio helps provide a protective hydrolipidic film on the scalp. Results: scalp is soothed and experiences comfort.
*René Furterer has been providing hair & scalp care products since 1957. Products are 97% Silicone Free, 99% Paraben free, 99% Mineral oil free,100% MIT free.*
Body Care Routine
Just like the scalp, the skin on your body will also experience itchiness and sensitivity. You will need to apply gentle, appropriate skin care products to avoid exacerbating the side effects of treatment on your skin.
Did you know?
- Many soaps dry out skin and can cause irritation.
- Wash mitts and loofahs can irritate skin.
- Overly hot water dries skin and can reactivate or irritate skin problems.
Whatever your skin type, our Bioplant Body Wash line is designed to softly clean your skin without leaving residues behind. Bioplant products are made from 100% natural ingredients and are silicone, sulfate and mineral oil free.